Monday, November 20, 2006

Thankful for Books....Again

As I have written on this most prestigious blog before, I am extremely grateful to God for the amazing gift of books. What a blessing to be able to read! My grandfather never read a book to my knowledge, and now, a big part of my life is tied up in the reading of books.

As I write this, I have just arrived at my in-law's house outside of Philly. What a great time to write a blog - after being on the road for 13 hours! One blessing of our modern day is that we can listen to books in our car. We stopped by Cracker Barrel tonight and picked up an audio book by Anderson Cooper, of CNN fame, dealing with various foreign wars he has reported on and the tumultuous nature of his personal life.....very interesting and worthwhile book. I just can't recall the title right now.

My personal vote for book(s) of the year (at least in my life) is as follows:
1. Depression, by Ed Welch - masterful work by a gifted physician of the soul; excellent for anyone, whether the struggle itself is present or not.
2. Above All Earthly Pow'rs - Christ in a Postmodern World - This is a book that was required reading for me this semester, so that means that I wasn't able to pour over it and digest it like I would have liked to. Still, it has been a very rewarding read, one I definitely plan to return to.

I've got to get some sleep....hasta luego.

No comments: