Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Books...After Graduation

Well, it's that time . . . summer time with no classes or required reading, just work, vacation and essentially free nights. So, here is what I have been enjoying in the way of books this summer:

1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - My wife, mom, and dad had all read this book so I was late in the game. I just finished it a few days ago and then watched the movie with Kristie. Very well-written. . . 8.8/10

2. When Answers Aren't Enough by Matt Rogers - I grew up with Matt in Gastonia, NC, and he is now a pastor on the campus of Virginia Tech.

3. Young, Restless, and Reformed by Collin Hansen - Very interesting read. . . 8/10

4. Uneasy in Babylon by Barry Hankins - This is a very intriguing read. It is essentially a sociological study of Southern Baptist Conservatives and American Culture (which is also the book's subheading). . . 8.5/10

5. Southern Baptist Consensus and Renewal by David Dockery - I have been greatly helped from what I have read in this book. It is very balanced and perspective-giving. . . 8/10

6. Selected readings from Martin Lloyd-Jones, including portions of his book Preaching and Preachers and sermons from his series on Romans - Lloyd-Jones has captured my attention since last summer when I read some of his Studies in the Sermon on the Mount while preparing a couple of sermons. I can say that I am a very big fan of Lloyd-Jones.

7. The Temple and the Church's Mission by G. K. Beale - I am 1/5 of the way through this book and it is somewhat slow going thus far. I can only expect that it gets continuously better and better. I want to read most of this set by D. A. Carson in the coming years.

8. Rethink by Steve Wright - This is a book about student (youth) ministry and about how it is "not working." The authors (Wright and Chris Graves) offer their prescription for the current ills in youth ministry. Pretty good book . . . 6.8/10

9. Why We're Not Emergent by DeYoung and Kluck - I received this book from the T4G Conference a few months back and never finished reading it. I was, however, very intrigued by what I read, and I am very impressed with the theological insights offered by DeYoung.

Well, there it is. As you can see, I have the disease of picking a book up and not finishing it in many cases.

More to come soon.

1 comment:

Craig Sowder said...

I wish I still enjoyed reading books.