Monday, August 10, 2020

LET THE CHURCH INFLUENCE THE "ACADEMY" FOR ONCE

This book (pictured below) is mentioned in the interview with C. Ash about his "reading life" in my most recent post.  I actually just happened to stumble upon this book while browsing Amazon, and I realized that it was the one that Ash is reading.  Carter writes here about theological interpretation of Scripture (TIS).  I read the parts of this book that interested me the most, and I think that I also was able to pretty explicitly discern his thesis.  I find myself pulled-in by this work and by this way of thinking in many ways.  If Christian scholars can barely agree to seeing any trace of the Lord Jesus in Isaiah 53, for example, then we need to 'dump' being so scholarly and return to reading our Bibles the way the Lord (and His earliest followers) would have us read.  He has praise for folks like Don (D.A.) Carson, even while implying that he--Carson-- and others might become even more comfortable with premodern exegesis.  From what I read of it, I do not think that this is a perfect book, but I am glad that I perused it. 


No comments: