Monday, April 30, 2018

Must Have(s) for the Preacher of Romans

So, two titles that I would say those preaching from Romans really want to have by their side..... Moo's NIVAC on Romans and then C. Ash on Romans (2 part).    I would almost say essential.   Pate is good to have too (TTC series), but he is hit and miss a bit. 

D. Carson has said that only the most poorly-trained preacher would prefer Moo's NIVAC over his larger NIC volume on Romans.  I have both, but I would say that Carson is perhaps a bit condescending in this and also that I am happy to be "poorly trained" if this is so;  the NIVAC contains his exegetical thoughts but also moves all the way to application (helpful application from someone you can trust with interpretation).  So, you are getting everything instead of just exegesis and a bit of theology/mild application sprinkled in. 

I look forward to the ZECNT on Romans coming out. 

No comments: