Monday, April 04, 2011

Current Reading

So, here are some books I've been dipping into lately....

Wendell Berry's Life is a Miracle: An Essay Against Modern Superstition. My friend Ben gave this to me, knowing that Kristie and I appreciate a lot of Berry's thought. This is a very good read. Berry takes on the subtle but dominant scientific mindset that has caused us all to view the world in terms of machinery. I think the book is basically a philosophy primer. It is a breath of fresh air in an impersonal world.

Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. I read this book in high school, and I have always remembered being struck by it. I've wanted to come back to it for years now, especially in light of reading that some pastors would put it in their top five books. I'm listening to the audio book version from audible.com. So far, so good.

Stiles' Marks of the Messenger: Knowing, Living and Speaking the Gospel. We are reading this in our small group as a church. It is an easy read with solid truths.

Gilbert's What is the Gospel? This is also a book I've been wanting to read for a little while. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a free copy on a recent trip to hear Mark Dever speak at Southeastern Seminary. Thanks, 9Marks! This book has been a good reminder of what is everyone's greatest need--the gospel.

Lloyd-Jones Spiritual Depression. This is a great collection of sermons. Whether you ever struggle with depression or not, these sermons are full of rich, biblical, practical wisdom.

I've also enjoyed listening to Russell Moore's Adopted for Life (thanks christianaudio.com for the freebie!). His biblical, theological, and practical discussion of adoption has been encouraging for me as I preach through Ephesians.

No comments: