Monday, August 10, 2020

A FUN BOOK FOR THEOLOGY NERDS

Maybe that's not the best title.  I don't think that was his intention in writing this book: for it to be viewed as only a niche book in this way! I am always intrigued by theological matters.  Here is the age-old discussion that somewhat dovetails with discussions of the role of the law and law/grace.  When I first looked at the contents of this book (see pic below), I knew that I wanted to see more.  

Belcher not only walks through the biblical and theological covenants, he also gets into polemics, albeit in a gentle and gentlemanly-like way.  That's what drew me in--seeing that he was not afraid to interact with those with whom he disagreed, even with those who disagree in a somewhat minor way.  And, he interacts with my default camp, which is sometimes called progressive covenantalism.  He has accomplished much in this book.  

As a Baptist, I cannot go with him on a lot of it.  I am intrigued by Belcher because he is the product of his father (what a revelation!).  His father is "famous" for his many theological novels, such as the one that very helpfully explains what we call "Calvinism."  The Lord seemed to bless his father's ministry, and now he himself has had a fairly wide ministry via RTS, etc.  He even writes a bit about his upbringing in this book.  Good stuff!....and again, the parts where he interacts with "opponents" in his own camp and in the Baptist camp are interesting. 


No comments: